Monday, April 12, 2010

sweet & spicy stir-fry

Stir-fries are a great way to get in your 5-a-day, and they are really easy to whip up. They are definitely one of my go-to meals, especially in the summer when produce is most readily available and at its best quality. Last night I tried a new stir-fry and it was really yummy! I used tofu as my protein source, but if that is something you aren't into, you could substitute chicken, lean beef, or even shrimp (although if you've never tried tofu, be brave and try it!).


Sweet & Spicy Stir-fry--Serves 5

Ingredients:
1 package firm tofu
1/2 bunch of asparagus
1 small Japanese eggplant-- I used a graffiti eggpant--check out the picture below
4 green onions
1 small jalapeno pepper (seeds & ribs removed)
1 cup canned pineapple chunks, packed in juice
1 tsp fresh grated ginger root
1/4 c. teriyaki sauce
2 tsp canola oil
1/2 cup vegetable broth, low sodium if available

First lay out a couple layers of paper towels on a baking sheet. Cut the tofu into 1x1 cubes or triangles, and lay out onto the paper towels, all in one layer. Top the tofu with another layer of paper towels, then place your cutting board or another pan on top. Keep pressed for 15-20 minutes as you prepare the dish. This helps drain the water out of the tofu, which helps it to retain its shape during the cooking process.

While the tofu is being pressed, pour the canola oil into a wok or large frying pan to medium heat. Slice the eggplant and add it to the oil. Cut the asparagus spears into chunks and add it to the pan. If the pan is looking dry, add broth as needed, you can use water too but the broth will add a nice flavor. Next add the fresh grated ginger root, green onion, pineapple chunks and jalapeno to the pan. Then add the teriyaki sauce, mixing so that all the veggies get covered. Lastly add the tofu, stirring carefully to ensure the tofu holds its shape. Reduce the heat and cook for 5-10 more minutes.

**Time saving tip: prep your veggies ahead of time. If I have time when I get home from the grocery store, I like to do it then. It saves cook time, plus I am more apt to eat them if they are already cut in the fridge in tupperware.

I served this atop whole wheat couscous, but you can use any grain you'd like. Also, this was the first time I had ever cooked with ginger root. It's a flavor that's growing on me, but I was a bit hesitant with it. If you like the flavor of ginger, feel free to use more while cooking, or garnish the dish with freshly grated ginger root.

Overall, this was a really tasty dish and easy to make. I'll definitely add it to my rotation. I made enough for left-overs but it was most definitely better the first time. I'll score it 3 out of 5 for re-heating quality :)

Graffiti eggplant--


The finished dish... I promise I'll work on my plating/photography skills. Thank you Juliana for bringing your camera to capture the meal, and for being my sweet & spicy stir-fry guinea pig!

1 comment:

  1. Yum, yum, yum! I will be your cooking guinea pig anytime!

    Juliana

    ReplyDelete