Wednesday, April 21, 2010

roasted vegetable pasta primavera

So you may have gathered by now I love my vegetables, and of course this dish makes no exceptions. And what better way to celebrate Earth Day than a meal featuring an abundance of bright and colorful veggies! I took a walk to my local produce store earlier today and grabbed a random assortment of veggies to add to my primavera. Instead of sauteing the vegetables like I normally would, I decided to roast them in olive oil and crushed garlic and it came out very fresh and clean tasting.

Roasted Vegetable Pasta Primavera (serves 4) Ingredients:
1 lg broccoli crown
1/2 medium zucchini, sliced
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup frozen or canned artichoke hearts (packed in water, not oil)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/3 cup coarsely chopped onion
a handful of sliced mushrooms
1 tbsp & 1 tsp olive oil, divided
2 tsp crushed garlic
8 oz whole wheat blend thin spaghetti (half a box)
a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes
coarse sea salt, to taste
parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a glass baking dish w/ 1 tsp olive oil. Add all of the vegetables to the pan, toss to coat with the oil. There is no need to thaw the frozen vegetables before you roast them. Resist the urge to add more oil, the vegetables are going to release water in the oven so they wont dry out. Add the crushed garlic, red pepper flakes, and sea salt, mix together. Bake for ~45 minutes, tossing occasionally.
While the veggies are cooking, boil a large pot of water on the stove to cook the pasta. I like to use whole wheat pasta because I actually prefer the taste and I feel like I am eating something with a little substance. The wheat pastas contain more fiber which help to keep you feeling full. Add the spaghetti to the pot once the water is boiling. I find that wheat pasta does take a little longer to cook than regular pasta. Just taste a piece to cook it to your desired texture.
Once the pasta is done, strain it and put it back in the pot. Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and then add the roasted vegetables. Top with a little parmesan cheese and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. look at you cookin' away! that looks delish. per usual!

    Juliana

    ReplyDelete