Sunday, April 25, 2010

the easiest recipe ever

I know I say all my recipes are easy, but this one takes the cake... or better said--this one takes the bowl of chili.  Chili is such an easy meal, especially if you have a crock pot at your disposal, I unfortunately do not--however a crock pot is on the top of my birthday wish list *cough cough may 5th cough cough*

I usually make vegetarian bean chili with whatever beans I happen to have on hand.  Black beans, red kidney beans, cannellini beans, butter beans, & navy beans all work really well.  I always use at least two different kinds of beans for a little variety, both visually and texturally.  My plan was to make my classic version, but I had some soy meatless crumbles in my freezer so I decided to mix it up a bit.  If you have never tried soy crumbles before chili is great way to test-run this new food.  Soy crumbles are basically fake ground beef made of textured vegetable protein (or TVP).  It's perfect for chili, tacos, Sheppard's Pie, meat sauce, lasagna, etc... 

 This recipe is really just a matter of opening a few cans, adding some fresh vegetables & some essential spices, then just turn on the crock pot or put a pot on the stove for a few hours and you have a meal for a week.  This meal gets a 5 out of 5 for reheatability and it freezes really well too.  If you know you have a busy week ahead of you, make this on Sunday and you'll be set!


Easy 'Meaty' Chili (makes ~8 1 cup servings)
Ingredients:
1 15.5 oz can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15.5 oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 10 oz cans diced tomatoes (w/ green chiles if available)
1/2 cup canned corn kernels
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced (ribs and seeds removed...unless you like heat)
1 cup meatless soy crumbles (found in the freezer section)
1-2 tsp Chili powder (or to your taste)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper


Add all ingredients except the spices into a pot (or crock pot).  Whether you are using a crock pot or the stove, set to medium heat and cover until the chili starts to bubble.  Add spices to your taste, start with a little and increase to your liking.  Cover and simmer on low heat for several hours, stirring occasionally.  I told you it was the easiest!  Top with cheddar cheese, sour cream, scallions, hot sauce, or whatever you wish.  mmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment