Sunday, April 11, 2010

a long time coming

There are two kinds of people in the world, those who eat to live and those who live to eat. I am most definitely the latter of the two. I love to eat, period. Even as a kid, I was always in the kitchen with my mom learning how to cook like she does. And before I go any further, I am going to throw the gauntlet down now and say my mom is the best cook ever, really EVER. Okay now that I got that out of the way, back to me and this blog. Although I do love to cook and love to eat, I also like to think I am a health conscious person, or as my family & friends would say, I eat weird things.
This month marks the completion of my eight month dietetic internship and I am on my way to becoming an RD (registered dietitian). I've been asked that dreaded question countless times in the past few months -- "so now what?" To answer this question briefly I say with a smile, so now I'm applying for jobs (its looking rather grim), studying for my exam, and hoping something will fall into my lap, trying to be optimistic. But if you want the long answer, yes I am going to be doing all of those things, plus a lot more. I am in this in between phase of my life... this could be my metaphoric last horah before I become a real grown up. I want to travel & do awesome things with awesome people... And I want to do the things I've been too busy or too stressed to do because college and my internship got in the way--- enter blog.
This blog is part of my 2010 New Years Resolution. I know, I know, resolutions are so cliche, why wait until January to make a commitment, it's sort of like those dieters who are always waiting for Monday to roll around. But I feel like I'm onto something with this one. I am resolving to trying new things, stepping out of my comfort zone, and diving face first (literally in January when I plummeted down the side of a snowy mountain on skis, ouch) into unfamiliar territory. To give a brief recap thus far, January I headed north to Vermont with a dozen or so friends and tried skiing for the first time, it was painful, hilarious, and terrifying all at the same time. February I let my friend Katie talk me into a "beginner" Jazz class. I think my definition of beginner was VASTLY different from the dance studio's... that was a bust. March was about discipline and commitment. I vowed to practice yoga every day for 31 days. Although I skipped a few days here and there when life got in the way, I really enjoyed this one and yoga is definitely something I will try to work into most days.
And here we are, it's April and I need to find something to do. I had been saying for a while that I want to have a blog... everybody and their momma is blogging now and I am jumping on the bandwagon too! This blog is mainly going to be dedicated to cooking. I will be posting recipes & pictures of things I cook and/or eat. And as a soon to be RD, I'm going to try to keep it healthy & maybe even throw in some fun nutrition facts for S's & G's :). So roll up your sleeves, pre-heat your ovens, and get your fork and knife ready... I'm about to make good food.

4 comments:

  1. I welcome you and your cooking to the wonderful world of blogging! Consider my oven pre-heated :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!!! Can't wait to see what you got ;-)
    And... my mom's not too bad a chef, either! It's definitely in the blood

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Jill...I'm already hooked! And you are correct, your mom is an amazing cook!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very nice. I like where your head's at! Enjoy the world, try new things, find some time to work hard here and there, keep posting delicious and nutritious recipes, and in no time will you find a few followers in the blog world ;)

    ReplyDelete