Thursday, April 15, 2010

Asparagus & feta Omelet

My college budget has led me to a greater appreciation for eggs. And just like the stir-fry I made earlier this week, omelets are a great meal to add extra vegetables to your diet. I had some left-over asparagus in my fridge so I decided to add it to my omelet this morning. I like to only use egg whites when I eat eggs. This is for two reasons, 1) I don't really like the taste/consistency of the yolks, and 2) the yolk holds the fat and cholesterol, while the white contains the most protein. If you're really crazy about the yolk, I recommend cutting back to no more than one per day --for each yolk, have 2 egg whites.

Asparagus & Feta Omelet (serves 1)
Ingredients:
3 egg whites
4-5 asparagus stalks
a handful of chopped green onion
1/2 tbsp crushed garlic
2 tbsp reduced fat (or fat free) feta cheese
cooking spray

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Chop up the asparagus spears into bite-sized pieces. Spray a baking pan with a little cooking spray and lay the asparagus on the pan and top with the crushed garlic. Cook until tender, ~15 minutes. Using a non-stick pan, spray with a little cooking spray and add the egg whites to the pan on medium heat. As the egg whites transition from clear to opaque, start to pull the egg away from the sides of the pan with a spatula, and let the clear white run underneath. This will give you a thicker omelet. The liquid whites will pool in the middle of the egg. If you are feeling especially skilled in your egg flipping talent, try to flip the egg over... I haven't quite mastered this technique yet, but I try! Once the egg is opaque, add the cooked asparagus, the chopped green onion, and feta cheese and fold in half. Keep it on low heat just until the cheese gets warm.

I always have to have some sort of bread with my eggs so this morning I had a toasted English muffin. And although I'm trying to wean the ketchup out of my life, I still have to have a little on my eggs, but hey... there's lycopene in there right?

No comments:

Post a Comment