Thursday, April 15, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas-- well, sort of...

Okay, so not every recipe is going to be perfectly successful. I am but a novice in the kitchen and good cooking skills are just trial and error. I am constantly tweaking recipes, trying to top my previous efforts. I had the best of intentions with my chicken enchiladas, but on a scale of 1 to disaster, I give myself a 6.5... I have a 1st degree burn on my wrist to prove it (note: ovens are HOT). This was my first time using corn tortillas, and I blame them for the recipe going array, they just crumbled when I started to roll the enchiladas. But even though this recipe didn't pan out as planned, the final result was equally as delicious as I originally anticipated. So when things go wrong... mix all ingredients together, bake a casserole and call it Christmas:

Spicy Chicken Enchilada Casserole (serves 5)

8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast (2 breasts)
1/2 tsp each- garlic powder, cayenne pepper, & chili powder
1 cup cooked brown rice
5 small corn tortillas, torn into pieces
1/4 cup reduced fat cream cheese
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1 small hot pepper, chopped finely (seeds and ribs removed)
1/2 cup enchilada sauce
cooking spray

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. As the oven heats, place the chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and 'hammer' the meat to tenderize (I used a metal ice cream scoop). Combine the dry spices on a plate and roll the chicken in the spices, covering all of the flesh. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and place the seasoned chicken in the pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes (until juices run clear and the flesh is no longer pink).

As the chicken cooks, prepare the filling. In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream, cream cheese, shredded Mexican cheese, diced tomatoes, and hot pepper. When the chicken is fully cooked, chop into cubes and add to the mixture. Increase your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a square baking dish with cooking spray. First, layer the bottom with two corn tortillas, then layer on the cheesy filling, next scoop 1/2 cup cooked rice. Repeat this once more, then top with another layer of tortillas, and pour the enchilada sauce on the top layer. Bake in the oven for ~30 minutes or until the center is cooked through. I paired this with zucchini sauteed with crushed garlic and a tsp. canola oil.

Preparation wise, things didn't go as planned, but the casserole was actually really good. If you don't like spicy things, nix the hot pepper. Warning: this casserole will make your nose run! I had the casserole for dinner tonight, so I haven't tried it reheated. But as far as casseroles go, most reheat really well, sometimes better than the first time around, so I have high hopes!




No comments:

Post a Comment