Monday, June 28, 2010

I'm making fajitas!

I had a very busy weekend, I worked on Saturday and spent my free time either at the beach or at Fiesta and didn't spend any time in the kitchen, so I knew I just HAD to get a post up tonight.  I was driving home from work racking my brain on what to cook... I was so entranced on dinner that I completely missed my exit and accidentally started driving to Boston, woops!  While I was rerouting, I decided fajitas would be a good idea; there was already chicken in the fridge and I had a red pepper and onions.  I stopped at the store to grab a couple essentials and then to the farm stand in Tewksbury to get some fresh corn... got to love working in the middle of nowhere.  Speaking of which, I saw a deer while I was driving home! But I digress, anyway-- here's the recipe! 

Chicken Fajitas (serves 4)
Ingredients:
1 tbsp canola oil
2 lg. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced
1/2 lg. red pepper
1/2 lg. green pepper
1/2 lg. vidalia onion
1/2 cup mushrooms 
1/4 green zucchini
1 handful of peapods
cayenne pepper, paprika, & garlic powder, to taste
4 corn tortillas (flour or wheat tortillas work too)
optional: salsa, sour cream, cheese, guacamole, etc.


First, heat the tbsp oil in a large skillet or wok.  Slice the chicken into strips and season with cayenne and paprika.  Put the chicken in the pan and flip when it starts cooking (turns white).
While the chicken is cooking, start slicing the veggies fajita style, or into thin strips.  I like a little more variety than just onions and peppers in a fajita so I added zucchini, mushrooms, and peapods too.  Add them to the pan of chicken and stir so they don't stick.  If you like heat, you can add a little more cayenne and garlic powder to the pan.  
Let the chicken and veggies sizzzzzzle! Cook it until the veggies soften, about 20 minutes or so.  Warm up the tortillas in the microwave for about 30 seconds.  I made yellow Spanish rice and corn on the cob to serve with the fajitas, enjoy! 





My new kitchen helper was really hoping to snag a few scraps... maybe next time Belle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment