Sunday, June 13, 2010

apple vanilla pancakes topped with maple cinnamon sauteed apples

This is the perfect rainy-day Sunday breakfast after a non-stop busy weekend.  I've had pancakes in the back of my mind all weekend but I've been holding out for Sunday.  I got back to my apartment late last night and realized I had no milk and knowing I was not going to want to go for a grocery run in the AM.  NO, plan foiled!!! --or so I thought, but with a little creative substitution, I was able to make a delicious new recipe.  Rather than using a 1/2 cup milk which the pancake instructions call for, I decided to use equal parts vanilla yogurt and  applesauce... and a tiny bit of water to thin out the batter.  This swap yields a much fluffier pancake.  With my creative juices flowing, the extra applesauce inspired me to jazz up the typical pancake topper with cinnamon and sauteed apples, YUM! 

Apple Vanilla Pancakes topped with Maple Cinnamon Sauteed Apples (serves 1)
Pancake Ingredients:
1/2 cup wheat blend pancake mix (dry)
1/4 cup light vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup naturally sweetened apple sauce
1 egg white
dash of cinnamon
1-2 tbsp water

Apple topping ingredients:
1 small apple, peeled and chopped (I used an Empire)
1 tbsp Smart Balance spread or similar product, look for Trans Fat Free
2 tbsp maple syrup
generous sprinkle of cinnamon 
1-2 tbsp juice/cider, preferably apple (I used blueberry pomegranate juice)

First start by melting butter spread into a small frying pan on medium-high heat.  Add the apple slices and watch carefully, don't let the apples burn. 
While the apples are softening, you can prepare the pancake batter.  It's really simple, just add the dry mix, yogurt, applesauce, and egg white to a medium bowl.  Mix with a fork.  Add the water as needed to thin out this extra thick batter.  Add a dash of cinnamon and let that sit pretty while the apples cook... you are watching those apples right??
 The apples should be getting a little softer.  Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the maple syrup and cinnamon.  Now when it comes to indulgences like syrup, use a moderate amount and go for the REAL DEAL.  You can find real maple syrup at www.maplesyrupworld.com.

If the heat is too high, the sugar in the maple syrup will burn.  If you know me well, you know I love burnt food but burnt sugar is just gross, so watch that pan and STIR STIR STIR.  If the apples and syrup start to get too thick, this is where the juice comes in.  Like I said, I used blueberry pomegranate juice because that is what's in my fridge, but apple cider or apple juice would be best if you have it.  Add just a tbsp at a time and mix.  2 tbsp should be plenty to thin out the sauce. 
Now, keep those apples on low heat and cook your pancakes.  The batter will yield about 4 4-inch cakes.  Heat a frying pan with a little cooking spray or butter spread and spoon the batter into the pan.  Flip the cakes when the pancakes start to bubble, you'll know when to flip because they'll hold their shape when you slide the spatula under 'em. 
The maple apple topping should be ready when the pancakes are done.  Just plate your cakes and pour the apples on top.  Enjoy your breakfast and your lazy Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment