Wednesday, June 23, 2010

10 grocery staples I can't live without

Sure, I love to cook but do I have time to prepare a meal from scratch all the time, of course not, I think there are few people out there that still do.  So for that reason, I like to make sure I have some easy standbys when I just don't have the time, energy, or creativity to prepare a meal.  So here goes, 10 things I like to have stocked at all times, my list of 10 grocery staples I can't live without:

(1) Dr. Praeger's All Natural California Veggie Burgers--  These burgers get my RD approval.  As an ex-vegetarian, and now self proclaimed flexitarian I have sampled my fair share of veggie burgers.  I've always favored the vegetable style over the faux-beef varieties and these veggie burgers are unlike most others because you can clearly see all the different vegetables in the burger, so good!  If you haven't tried them yet, you need to pick them up next time you're at the grocery store --seriously!


(2) Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk-- I had been drinking soy milk for a few years now and on a whim I decided to stray from my norm and try the almond milk.  This stuff is great!  The almonds give the milk a great nutty flavor that is just lovely in cereal.  And as an added bonus, this nutty treat has half the calories of skim milk.  If you are lactose-intolerant or just want to try something new, it's definitely worth a shot.


(3) Eggs-- You cant go wrong with this inexpensive, protein rich staple.  With a little cheese and some veggies, you've got a well-balance, healthy meal.  Omelets take no time at all to make and you can keep things interesting with changing up your fillings using different cheeses, vegetables, and toppings.  And this simple meal shouldn't be reserved soley for breakfast, eggs make a great lunch or dinner too. 

(4) 1 Minute Quick Oats-- Now that summer is here, this staple isn't quite as important in my kitchen.  However, in the winter I eat oatmeal for breakfast most days of the week.  I prefer it cooked in the microwave with water, over the stove-top method; I think the oats get softer quicker.  Most of the time, I make my oatmeal with frozen blueberries and strawberries, or canned pumpkin and raisins, or peanut butter and bananas...  all topped with almond milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

(5) Sweet Potatoes-- I know I've mentioned this already in a post, but I have a soft spot in my heart for these orange rooters.  Sliced into fries and baked in the oven, these make for a perfect side to veggie burgers or even as an afternoon snack (a great alternative to a bag of chips).  These are also great baked or mashed and a much better alternative to their white counterparts.

(6) Wheat English Muffins-- Since it's now a little unseasonable for oatmeal, English muffins have taken over for my standard breakfast of choice.  Either with peanut butter and a little honey or with a Laughing Cow Original Swiss cheese wedge and a little strawberry jam this makes for a great portable light breakfast. 


(7) & (8) Pizza Sauce and Mozzarella Cheese--Paired with #6 these three make a delicious kid-friendly trio.  No matter your age, how can you go wrong with an English muffin pizza, that's right, you can't.  'nough said. 


(9)  Hummus-- Great for snacks and sandwiches, this spread is perfect when you want to take a break from your usual lunch sandwich rotation.  Hummus is made from chickpeas and tahini and makes a great wrap with lots of veggies or as a dip for crackers, pita bread, or tortilla chips.  And it comes in so many different flavors!


(10) No Pudge Brownie Mix-- This is the best culinary creation since sliced bread.  The day is not complete without a little chocolate in your life.  No Pudge has really stepped out of the box by creating a microwavable, single serving brownie mix.  By simply mixing two tbsp of brownie mix and 1 tbsp of vanilla yogurt in a microwavable dish, you now have a fresh hot brownie just waiting to be topped with a scoop of light vanilla ice cream!


No comments:

Post a Comment