Friday, May 28, 2010

grilled vegetable stack and warm quinoa salad

I love summer, especially the heat... bring on the 90 degree weather!  There is one drawback though, even a self-proclaimed foodie like me finds it hard to have much of an appetite... and let's be real here, salads get old after a while.  Today I made a great heat-friendly summer lunch and it'd taste great hot or cold!  And my title might be a little deceitful, as I have mentioned before I don't have a grill at my apartment... but I do have a pan that makes marks on food sort of like a grill :)  If you do have a grill, that is a great way to cook veggies as it brings on a whole new flavor to the vegetable, yum!  Oh and a disclaimer-- I made this recipe up as I went so the order of doing things is a little weird, but since I didn't want to eat the sandwich or quinoa hot anyway it doesn't really matter I suppose.

Grilled Vegetable Stack (serves 1)
Ingredients:
1 small whole wheat pita
1 portabella mushroom cap
~1/2 zucchini
2 big onion slices 
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp italian-type dressing (I could have made a marinate but i was lazy) 
grilling seasoning to taste (I used Garlic & Onion Medley McCormick Grill Mates)

Warm Quinoa Salad (serves 1)
Ingredients:
cooking spray 
1-2 tbsp chopped onion
1 slice zucchini from the sandwich recipe
1/4 cup cooked broccoli 
1/2 cup cooked quinoa 
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1-2 tbsp vegetable stock (broth or water would work too)


Start by slicing the zucchini the long way, about 1/4 inch thick-- you want to cut at least 5 slices.  Sprinkle a little bit of grilling seasoning on one side of the zuccini.  If you're using a grill, then you are going to want to brush your vegetables with oil so they don't stick.  If you are going to use a "grill pan" just put your oil right in the pan on high heat.  Once the grill or pan is nice and hot, add the zucchini, seasoning side face-down in the pan.  
Next you're going to add the onion.  I just sliced an onion in half, then cut out two rings, maybe just a little thinner than the zucchini.  Make some room and add those to the pan too.
When the zucchini starts to really get cooking on one side, give them a flip.  While the zucchini cooks, slice a portabella mushroom cap in half horizontally to make two 'mushroom patties'. If the pan is full, wait for the zucchini to finish up.  When the zucchini and onion is done, just remove from heat and set aside. Add the mushroom to the pan or grill, and drizzle the dressing on the mushroom.  The advantage of cooking in a pan is that it holds the oil/seasoning from the zucchini. The mushrooms have a great flavor on their own so you don't need a lot dressing... I used a Greek vinaigrette dressing, but any oil-based dressing would work well.   
As the mushroom cooks, you can start working on the quinoa salad.  My camera battery died half way through the cooking process so I charged it while I made the quinoa, sorry!  I made a big batch of quinoa a couple nights ago just to have on hand.  If you don't have any already made, just follow the recipe on the box, simple as that!  Spray a small pan with a little cooking spray and add the chopped onion and garlic on medium heat.  Next add the cooked broccoli--I steamed extra this morning when I made my broccoli and cheddar omelet.  If you have frozen broccoli, that would work well too.  Take one of the cooked zucchini slices and chop it up and add to the pan.  When the onions get soft and become translucent, add the balsamic vinegar.  Next ad the cooked quinoa.  If you think it looks dry, add some broth, stock or even a little bit of water. Bring the heat down to low and let this hang out while the mushroom finishes cooking.  When the mushroom is done, you're ready to start stacking! I used pita bread because it's what I had on hand, but a nice roll would make a good sandwich too.  I sliced the pita in half to get two circles and warmed it in my pan before I started stacking.  Start with the bottom bun or pita half and add a couple slices of zucchini. 
  Next add one mushroom half.
 Next add one ring of onions.



And now repeat once more: zucchini, mushroom, and onion.  

You'll probably have some zucchini left over... you can snack on that later.  I hope you like it!!



No comments:

Post a Comment