Tuesday, May 10, 2011

crock pot buffalo chicken.

I know, I know... "Really? Another unseasonable crock pot recipe?!" 

Yes, really.  Slow cookers are typically reserved for the winter and usually yield hearty comfort foods perfect for cold snowy nights. But lets think about it differently, shall we? In the heat of the summer, the last thing you want to do is heat up your kitchen with an oven, am I wrong? Of course I'm not. 
Now enter the crock pot. A crock pot is a small counter top appliance that is a contained source of heat, leaving your kitchen cool and comfortable, perfect for those hot dog days of summer.
I got this DELICIOUS recipe from one of the dietitians at work (thank you Emmie!). One day I was bragging about my own buffalo chicken recipe, and she shared her special buffalo chicken recipe with our office. Well I hate to admit it, but I think she one-up'd me with this. It took me a couple months to actually listen to her advice and make it but I am so glad I did, and now I get to share it with you! Think of this as pulled pork, but with buffalo chicken instead of barbeque pork, yum! There are only three ingredients and it is so simple to make. I'd recommend starting it in the morning, and it will be done by supper time.

Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken (serves 8)
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
1 bottle Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce
1 envelope of ranch dip mix

Add raw chicken to the crock pot, don't worry about cutting it up because it'll break down in the cooking process.
Next pour in the buffalo sauce and the ranch dip mix.  You may not need the whole bottle, just enough to submerge the chicken in the sauce.
1) add the sauce and dip mix
2) mix it up
Cover it and cook on low for 8-10 hours. I cooked mine 10 hours for about 1 1/3 lbs chicken and 1/2 bottle of sauce. 
 When it's done, pick at the chicken with a fork to break it up.  Like I said before, it should be the consistency of pulled pork.  It is delicious by itself, but I made it into a sandwich with a whole wheat bun and a little bit of reduced fat blue cheese dressing. 

I hope you like it! And thanks again, Emmie!

1 comment: