Monday, October 11, 2010

apple crisp

I spent Saturday at Russell's Orchard, enjoying the fall smells of hot cider donuts, apples, and that indescribable crisp autumn air.  With a coffee in one hand and raspberry mint scone in the other, I rode the hayride with the masses to enjoy the beautiful fall day.  Scouring the trees for the perfect fruits, my bag was chock full of Cortland, Empire, and Macintosh apples in no time at all and we were back on the hay ride (of course not before sampling a couple in the fields).  

And last night I had the urge to bake... I had to embrace this moment because this urge is a rarity, my passion is most definitely cooking. So I gathered my ingredients and started peeling like a madwoman.  Nothing says October like a warm apple crisp fresh out of the oven topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, mmm.... 


Apple Crisp (serves 6-8)
6 large apples (I like to use a mix)
1 tsp cinnamon, divided
1/3 cup water
3 tbsp soft margarine
1/4 cup flour 
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup rolled oats  

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Start by peeling all of the apples and cutting them into chunks and putting them in a medium sized bowl.  
 
Next add the water (juice or cider works too!) and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. 
Then mix the flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, and margarine in a bowl.  Melt the margarine a little to soften if need be. 
 Spray an 8x8 baking dish with a little cooking spray.  Layer the apples in the dish, then spread an even layer of crumb topping onto the apples. 
Bake it in the oven for 35-45 minutes, or until the apples are soft and the topping is golden brown. 
Serve warm with a dollop of slow churned or light vanilla ice cream for a perfectly fall treat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment