Monday, September 27, 2010

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

If ten years ago you had put a plate of Brussels sprouts in front of me, I can guarantee I would have turned my nose up at them.  My family never ate them growing up and I remember one aunt boiling them and the smell alone made me cringe.  But since then, I've dabbled in vegetarian life and have really opened up my mind to try new things.  I tried these little green delights for the first time in my college dining hall and who would of thunk it, they were actually pretty good! 
Roasting vegetables in the oven enhances the flavor and gives a sort of earthy-nutty taste.  If you are skeptical, even more the reason to try them!  They are loaded with fiber and actually have 3 times the vitamin C of an orange, and for only 10 calories a pop that is a very nutritious bang for your buck!!  

Roasted Brussels Sprouts (serves 2)
1 heaping cup brussel's sprouts
1 tbsp olive oil
a generous sprinkle of garlic powder... the fresh stuff is even better! 
a light dash of salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Start by trimming up each sprout.  Peel back the dark outer leaves and trim the stems with a small paring knife.
When you buy them, it'll look like this
After you trim it, it should look like this.
  Then score them buy cutting an "X" on the leafy tops.  Give them a good rinse, there might be some dirt wedged in the tight leaves. 
Place them in a baking dish and drizzle them with oil, give the pan a shake to spread the oil on all sides... If you have the time and patience, you can use a basting brush to oil each one.  Sprinkle them with salt and garlic powder.  Fresh garlic will add a stronger flavor, just use crushed or finely mince your own with a knife or garlic press.  Roast them in the oven for approximately 30-40 minutes, or until they've softened up and the outer leaves brown up.

2 comments:

  1. is that aunt, *my* mother you're speaking of?!?! I LOVE BRUSSEL SPROUTS!!! hahaha I'm going to try this... boiling is just not how it should be done. Everything green and leafy should involve garlic in some way :)

    ReplyDelete