Monday, July 12, 2010

stuffed peppers

The temperature has finally dropped a few degrees and I know longer fear the wrath of the oven.  So for dinner tonight I made stuffed green peppers, overflowing with  brown rice, ground turkey, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, tomato and peas.  It's loaded with veggies boosting the fiber content-- helping you feel full without loading up on unhealthy calories. 
I must admit though, unlike most of my recipes I don't think this falls under the quick and simple category.  Because stuffed peppers is a multi-step process i.e. cooking the rice, then the turkey, mixing everything together, then baking the peppers I did some of the work last night to shorten my cooking time today.  I prepped all my veggies and cooked the rice last night, leaving only cooking the meat, mixing it all up and baking for tonight. 

Stuffed Peppers (serves 6)
Ingredients:
3 large green peppers 
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 14 oz can stewed tomatoes, No Added Salt if available
1 8 oz can tomato sauce, No Added Salt if available
~1 lb raw lean ground turkey (97% lean)
1/2 zucchini, chopped (about a cup)
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup onion, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste
cooking spray
optional: grated or shredded cheese


Start by chopping the zucchini, mushrooms, and onion.  After I did this, I put them all in the same container along with the frozen peas and stuck it in the fridge until I was ready for it.  Next, cut and clean out the peppers.  I was undecided so I cut one pepper length-wise, one width wise, and one just trimming the top.  If I were to make these again, I'd probably just trim the top on all the peppers to get 1 serving per pepper rather than 2, which in turn would boost the calorie content of each serving. 
  Next cook the rice and set aside.  In a big skillet brown up the ground turkey on medium heat and add the fresh garlic.  Drain any excess liquid from the meat then add all the veggies to the skillet.  
Stir to mix up then add the stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce.  Break up any big tomato chunks.  Add the rice, reduce to low and simmer.  Add a pinch of salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.  Cook on low for about 10 minutes then remove from heat.
Preheat the oven to 350.  Spray a large baking dish with a little cooking spray.  Stuff each pepper with a heaping scoop of filling and place in baking dish.  Set aside any extra filling. 
Cover the dish with aluminum foil and poke a few holes to allow steam to escape.  Bake for approximately 45 minutes, until peppers soften.  Quickly reheat the extra filling in the microwave or stove-top and top each pepper with another hefty scoop of the rice mixture, evenly atop each pepper until left overs are gone.  Top with a little grated or shredded cheese if you like!

NEW FEATURE:
The recipe (serves 6) contains approximately 200 calories per serving.  If you cut the top off each pepper and make 1 serving per pepper rather than 2 servings,  the filling (as is) will stuff 4 large peppers and boost the calorie count to 310 calories.  This recipe is low in fat and high in fiber. 

Note: calorie count does not include cheese. 

3 comments:

  1. delicious!

    (backstory: I'm a good friend of annie rothweiler's, living on my own, attempting to cook. we used to be roommates; her standard household job/chore/immensely important responsibility was to make sure I had turned off the stove after I left for class. so, when I say attempting, I'm not kidding. loved this recipe!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about your blog from a mutual friend and WOW I'm glad she told me about you. I blog about food and recipes as well. Check me out @ http://foodlovenews.blogspot.com/

    I will definitely be trying this recipe!

    ReplyDelete